Wednesday, March 12, 2014

German MP calls lack of plans to mark the First World War Centenary a "scandal" / "Centenary News" March 3, 2014

Centenary News
March 3, 2014

Sevim Dağdelen
MP for the German political party Die Linke

Sevim Dağdelen, MP for the German political party Die Linke - 'The Left' - has criticised Germany for a lack of plans to commemorate the Centenary of the First World War.

Ms. Dağdelen, who is International Relations spokesperson for Die Linke, has branded the Federal Government's unwillingness to commit funds or to organise events to commemorate the Centenary a "scandal".

The Federal Government announced that €4 million has been set aside to mark the Centenary, which, Ms. Dağdelen highlighted, "is only a fraction of the expenditure in comparison to, for example, the amount which the British and French governments have committed".

The Federal Government made the announcement in response to a query put forward by Die Linke.

Ms. Dağdelen criticised the fact that, after the government had "finally disclosed" details, that there are no plans to commemorate the war on the Eastern Front.

She said that "the millions of victims in Poland, Belarus, Ukraine and Russia, obviously have no meaning to the German government".

She stated her surprise that whilst the Eastern Front had been ignored, Centenary events are being organised "in Benin and Bolivia".

Ms. Dağdelen said that her party "demands" the Federal Government mark the Centenary and that more funding should be made available. She also said that there must be no "historical revisionism".

She concluded that, "even 100 years after the First World War, Die Linke says: No more war!"



Source: Sevim Dağdelen's website
Images courtesy of Sevim Dağdelen's website
Posted by: Daniel Barry, Centenary News

http://www.centenarynews.com/article/?id=1502


*****

If you would like to get in touch with me, Aleksandra, please feel free to contact me at heroesofserbia@yahoo.com

*****

No comments: